- Toddler put the pet in the machine when she was playing with her last week
- Another child later turned the dryer on without realising dog was inside
- Mother realised what had happened and rushed the pet to a vets
- After a two-day stay at the vets, the dog is now back to normal
Richard Spillett for MailOnline
A tiny puppy survived a 30-minute cycle in a tumble drier on the highest heat setting after being accidentally shut in the machine by a toddler.
Little Sienna Edwards, two, was playing with her pet Penny when she popped the Boston Terrier into the drum as part of a game.
Her mum Christine Edwards, 31, had no idea the three-month-old pup was inside and her eldest daughter Megan, 14, turned on the dryer which was filled with damp clothes.
But half an hour later the mother-of-three was horrified when she realised tiny Penny was missing.
She yanked open the tumble dryer door and found the baking hot dog amongst the sheets, and rushed him up to the bath where she held the limp pup under the cold tap.
Scroll down for video
Boston Terrier Penny survived a 30-minute session in a tumble dryer after she was accidentally shut in
The dog was rescued when owner Christine Edwards realised what had happened and took her to the vet
Panicked Ms Edwards took the pet to the vets, where experts hooked him up to a drip and told his owner to prepare for the worst.
Incredibly, the dog escaped with a slightly burnt stomach, mouth and eye, and after a two-day stay with the vet was back to her normal self.
Ms Edwards, from Utkinton, Cheshire, said: ‘She really is a lucky Penny now – an absolute miracle.
‘When I took her in the vets told me to prepare for the worst and she really was on death’s door.
‘I really did think she would die as she had been in there for at least 30 minutes, and was just limp in my arms.
‘But amazingly after two days when I went to collect her she was running around fine. She’s sat next to me 100 per cent recovered and we just can’t believe it.’
Stay-at-home mother Ms Edwards brought Penny home less than a month ago and had spent the day of the accident running errands.
Daughters Paislie, nine, and Megan returned home from school and Ms Edwards assumed the tired dog was having a nap in her cage in the kitchen or lounging in the garden.
The animal pictured at the vets, where she was cooled down and has not made an astonishing recovery
Ms Edwards, from Utkinton, Cheshire, says she won’t let the little dog out of her sight from now on
She added: ‘I had a bad feeling so went to check the kitchen and she was not in her crate so I looked in the garden and she wasn’t there either.
‘I heard tumble dryer going I had an instinct she was in there so I opened it up. I found her limp and panting with her tongue hanging out and feeling hot.
‘I ran upstairs with her and put her under the cold tap. She was just flopping and on death’s door.’
They rushed to Birch Heath Veterinary Clinic in Tarporley where vets filled two rubber gloves with water to hold next to the dog in a bid to stabilise her temperature.
She was taken to Chester Gates Referral Hospital for expert attention where she remained for two days.
When Ms Edwards turned up to pick her up, she was back to her normal self.
‘The nurses couldn’t believe it,’ said Ms Edwards, whose partner Rob Ball, 31, is a commercial buyer. She really is a miracle. I won’t let her leave my side now.’
Share or comment on this article
Share what you think
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.
Who is this week’s top commenter?
Find out now