var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-41362908-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + 'stats.g.doubleclick.net/dc.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();
Home / Latest News / ‘No appeal’ against Welsh Government decision to throw out Llanishen Reservoir development plans

‘No appeal’ against Welsh Government decision to throw out Llanishen Reservoir development plans

Campaigners are hopeful for the future of Llanishen Reservoir after it emerged no appeal has been made against the Welsh Government’s decision to throw out plans to turn the site into a housing estate.

WalesOnline understands that US energy firm Western Power Distribution would have had six weeks to make an appeal to the High Court – a deadline which passed on Thursday.

Campaigners were delighted when Welsh Government Planning Minister Carl Sargeant dismissed the company’s plans to build 324 homes at the site on April 25.

WPD’s plans to build the houses on Llanishen Reservoir were met with widespread uproar, a decade-long campaign backed by WalesOnline’s sister paper the South Wales Echo, and has been the subject of numerous public inquiries and planning decisions.

WalesOnline reported last month how three houses on the outskirts of the reservoir were sold at auction
.

The boarded up houses on Rhyd-y-Penau Road, which had been earmarked for development by WPD, were bought for a total of just under £1m with the buyer planning to turn them into private homes.

Now the Reservoir Action Group, who have fought to save the reservoir from WDP’s plans, are hopeful the latest developments could signal the end of the dispute.

The Administrative Division of the High Court had no record of any appeal by WDP when WalesOnline contacted them yesterday and confirmed the last documentation related to August 21 last year.

Dr Richard Cowie, chairman of the Reservoir Action Group (RAG), said: “RAG are relieved that Western Power have decided not to challenge the Minister’s decision, which was based on a very careful consideration of the evidence presented at the Public Inquiry held in 2011.

“This, along with the recent sale of the houses on Rhyd-y-Penau Road, which WPD originally purchased to provide an access route onto the site, suggests that they have finally abandoned any plans of building on Llanishen Reservoir.”

He added: “We would like to invite Western Power to rebuild bridges with the local community by refilling Llanishen Reservoir as soon as possible – and opening the site up to the public so that, once again, it can be visited and enjoyed by the people of Cardiff.”

Llanishen councillor Phil Bale said he has written to WPD’s parent company PPL Corporation to seek clarification on the company’s future intentions.

He said: “I would still urge them to enter into talks and dialogue with the council and local residents.”

Western Power Distribution declined to comment yesterday.

Check Also

UCAS

A level results in Cardiff: How every school performed

Thousands of pupils across Cardiff have celebrated their A level results today. Across the city …