A van driver who admitted killing a mum-of-three and attempting to murder seven others in a chaotic hit-and-run spree will not stand trial.
Matthew Tvrdon, 31, has denied murdering Cardiff mum Karina Menzies, who was also 31, when he knocked her down with his white van last October, but admitted her manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
During a hearing at Cardiff Crown Court on May 24 he also pleaded guilty to attempting to murder seven other people, either causing or attempting to cause grievous bodily harm to four more and to driving dangerously on roads which included Western Avenue, Cowbridge Road West, Grand Avenue, Penarth Road, Barry Road and those at the Capital Retail Park.
Since last month’s hearing the Crown Prosecution Service have decided to accept the majority of Tvrdon’s pleas meaning there is no need for a trial.
The decision was reached partly in consultation with the victims’ families.
WalesOnline understands Tvrdon, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and who is currently in Ashworth secure hospital in Merseyside, will be required to enter pleas on at least two additional charges before he is sentenced tomorrow.
It is understood he will have admitted to at least one charge in relation to each of the 18 people injured during the hit-and-runs on October 19.
During last month’s hearing, defence counsel Paul Keleher QC told the court he expected his client to be sentenced via video link.
“There are medical grounds for that course to be taken,” he said.