Dozens of parents and pupils holding painted banners gathered outside City Hall yesterday to protest against overcrowding at a Welsh-medium primary school in Cardiff.
When Ysgol Pwll Coch was built 19 years ago, one class of 30 pupils was admitted each academic year, but now three forms with up to 90 pupils are admitted each September.
Chris Rajoo, from Canton, who has a four-year-old at the Leckwith school, claimed his son had to have a reading lesson in the cloakroom “surrounded by coats and bags”.
He also said: “He comes home with his gym kit untouched because there is not enough space for PE lessons.”
Michael Goode, who has an eight-year-old son at Pwll Coch, whose elder brother attended the school two years ago, said he had noticed “a real difference”.
He claimed: “They don’t go on so many school trips any more and they have to rush their lunch because they don’t have enough space in the dinner hall.”
Following the protest, Riverside councillor Iona Gordon presented a 700-signature petition at a meeting of Cardiff council, opposing the extra pupil numbers.
At a public meeting held in March, the council’s schools organisation planning manager Graham Dalton said demand for Welsh-medium schools had increased significantly.
He said the council’s preferred solution was to create a new Welsh-medium school in Grangetown, but said there were concerns over the viability of the site.
However, the situation could also remain as it is.
A consultation on what to do at the school ended on April 19.
At last night’s meeting Councillor Julia Magill, cabinet member for education and lifelong learning, confirmed the council had been unable to secure a suitable site for development in Grangetown.
She said: “It is important for me to stress that, at this stage, no decisions have been made by the council following the close of the consultation exercise.”
She added: “Following consultation and in the context of representations received, the cabinet will consider alternative options.”