var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-41362908-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + ''; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();
Home / Latest News / Verdict due in children’s hospice director of healthcare professional conduct hearing

Verdict due in children’s hospice director of healthcare professional conduct hearing

A misconduct case against the health care director of Ty Hafan children’s hospice has adjourned for the Nursing and Midwifery Council panel to consider its verdict.

Jayne Saunders denies misconduct allegations including a claim she failed to obtain informed consent from a teenage patient, identified only as “Child S”, to be examined by care team members.

She is also accused of failing to give sufficient consideration to the feelings of “S” and her parents Mr and Mrs S, when it came to planning a sleepover to celebrate the young patient’s 14th birthday. She denies the allegations against her.

Counsel for Mrs Saunders, David Welch, and the NMC, Barnaby Hone, submitted their final submissions to the panel in Cardiff on Tuesday.

In his final submissions Mr Welch addressed the credibility of the evidence of “S’s” parents, claiming they had halted proceedings to produce documented evidence which they do not then produce.

Mr Welch said: “Mrs S’s credibility was shattered to pieces because what she said she was going to produce, she did not.

“She talked about emails she was going to provide, but she did not. With regard to Mr S’s credibility, he was extremely evasive and very unwilling to answer my questions.”

Mr Welch also said that a care plan form for “S” – which it was alleged the parents signed “under duress” – was not produced as evidence. An attempt to facilitate informed consent for “S” was also made, but Mr Welch claimed this was halted by Mr S.

“S” was residing at the Sully-based hospice between February and April 2008, where she was receiving end-of-life care for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia, and had a fractured femur which would not heal properly due to her brittle bones.

The committee had been previously told that before March 18, 2008, Mrs S had been delivering all personal care to S, but on that day a review meeting was held to raise concerns that Ty Hafan might not be discharging their duty of care towards S, due to the fact that the family wanted privacy and the child was sensitive about discussions and actions relating to her body.

The hearing continues.

Check Also

Just why does parking make so many people so damn angry?

Between  Brexit chaos and a black hole the size of three million planet Earths you’d …